Saturday, March 07, 2015

2:nd painting from the same reference photo



This is the second painting from the same referencephoto from pmp I liked the shape of the leaves and concentrated on them on both photos. At first, when I planned for the first painting (see last post) I thought that I should paint the purple flowers too, but I decided to concentrate on the leaves and leave the flower for another painting. And I have to practise to simplify my paintings. After all, to leave things out is one of the important things of the planning process.

I have a hard time to not trying to make everything too straigh and proper. I want it soft and that is allways in my mind when painting. Sometimes I think the colors are abit too bright, and I try to glaze on top with other colors to make the colors softer, as I did on this tree with some neutral tint. I am now saticfied with the finished color. (See the bottom processpainting.) You can see that the first coat of permanent rose at the bottom of the trunk is still shining throught the thin glaze of neutral tint. Sometimes I really think that I´m a bit nuts as I often take risks rather than being on the safe side. I don´t wait and try first on another piece of paper. I go and take chances of ruin a painting rather than waiting. That´s my way!

This painting is a bit different in technique. I have dropped in paint in the allready wet paper in the bottomsection of the painting, I kind of liked the effect of it therfore I decided to be a bit kinder when making the shadows, both less bold compared to the first of these two painting from the same referencephoto, and as to the location of the shadows. From where the light comes alters the painting very much. This time I also put more color on the tincan to get some more contrast as I have less contrast in the shadows in this painting compared to the painting in the last post. Otherwise I think this painting would look too flat.




I´m so happy for your visit and I LOVE reading your comments! 
Wellcome back!

24 comments:

  1. I love the washes of blue in the sky! Looking at the shadows you changed the direction where the light is coming from. In the first painting I love the backlight, in this painting the light comes from the left which gives the painting a different feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The light does a lot in a painting. Thank you for visiting and comenting Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bellos colores y composición. Felicidades! Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tank you Jesús! Happy you like it :)

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed seeing your different approaches to the same subject and also hearing about the thinking behind it. Lovely work Catharina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Wendy! :)

      Delete
  5. Risk taking is so worth it as this is normally when something magic happens, so don't stop. Playing safe seems a lot harder work to me and often with less satisfying results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so true when you say it Lorraine. I guess I keep it on the way I do then :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Catharina, lovely posts and charming paintings! I like this technique you used in the work. Wash is the beauty of wateroclour, isn't it? Having fun is the first and main thing in drawing and painting. Let's have fun more and more. Cheers, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you Sadami. The most important thing is to have fun! Thank you for your visit!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and interesting art work !!!
    Have a nice and creative day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this free way of painting , beautiful work Catharina !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like it Jane :) Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful and so different from the previous painting although they are the same subject. Well done for being brave, I struggle with that myself.
    Von xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vonny! :) Let´s keep on struggling!

      Delete
  11. Hi Catharina, I love the way you have painted the sky and all the different textures so beautifully. I know that watercolours is the hardest medium to work with so I admire your work even more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you came by Azra :) Thank you for you comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the way you handled the filtered light. And I love the tincan's rich color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit minnemie :) and for comenting.

      Delete
  14. Two different paintings from the same reference photo, and each good in it's own way. I like the backlit effect of the first with the strong shadows and I like the coloured washes and greater contrast in this one. I like that you're trying different things especially trying not to be too "straight and proper". These are both lovely paintings and I wish I could as well with watercolours. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your coment John! Maybe I should try to combine the best from these two paintings into a third painting haha I don´t know about that! But I can take the knowledge about what was the best out of these two into use later on with a new and different painting. You should paint a watercolor again John. It would be nice to see them watercolors again. :) But in the same time you must have time for your beautyful drawings otherwise I would surely miss them! Maybe it´s difficult to find time to practise both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment about my drawings Catharina. I have to say that your recent watercolour posts are inspiring me to dust off my brushes and have a go at something myself. We'll see. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...